Thursday, March 31, 2005

being cool

So, there are 2 things that I think could improve my "coolness" factor...

Coffee.

Drinking coffee is cool. Even more than that, being able to order coffee and know what you're talking about is cool. The smell is cool, the look of those cool cups you get from panera or starbucks...they serve coffee in cool places like Barnes and Noble...

I don't like coffee. I like the smell of coffee, but I can't drink it. I've tried. When I competed in forensics in college and needed to be alert early in the morning, I forced myself to drink it. I tried milk, I tried sugar. Ick.

So I drink dt. soda instead...how cool is it to invite somone to "go have a diet soda?". Much cooler to say "Let's grab a cup of coffee".

Running.

I think it would be cool to be a runner. People who run seem smart, for some reason. Like, who do you think is more intelligent...someone who does aerobics? or someone who runs? I don't know why running seems smarter, but it does. I'd like to have those nice runner's legs....buy special running shoes...maybe even have a special runners watch...and then I'd really need that Ipod so I could put it in that little pocket and listen to podcasts or Louie's sermons while I ran.

In high school I tried to run. I got about 1 1/2 blocks. I don't mind walking, though. Maybe there's still hope...I could walk 5 minutes and run 2....

who am I kidding?

I guess I'm just destined to not be cool.

6 comments:

Drew Hibbard said...

You are cool because you are Gretchen, and being a woman of faith is the coolest thing around.

Hal Waggoner Jr. said...

I don't know about the whole running thing, but I have to respond to coffee...

I drink coffee; therefore coffee obviously doesn't make you cool. However, coffee... rocks my face off. Some would say I'm addicted. Others might say I have poor taste. I was raised a Navy brat. I learned to drink it strong and black. None of this foo foo additives that dilute the essence of what coffee is. However, to drink it like this is an aquired taste. But eventually you get to the point where you actually enjoy the taste, even to the point of disliking additives. But that is enough ranting on coffee. Adios!

Matt W said...

Gretchen, maybe you haven't heard, but in the new post-materialist postmodern culture, you are cool if you can write about what cool is and accepting that you aren't cool. It's quite simple!

Therefore, you are cool for wanting to be cool.

Matt W said...

By the way, I found a way around the coffee. You just have to get hot chocolate from the coffee place in the PAC at UIS. Cause then you get the cool cup, without the bitter coffee...

As far as running goes...I run. =)

Gretchen Magruder said...

and Matt, as we all know...you are cool. My theory is correct.

Anonymous said...

Hey Gretchen!!!! I just discovered your blog. I think it's fantastic, and everyone knows you're cool. ;)

I don't run, but you know my love affair w/ coffee. So, I'm with Hal on this one...obviously coffee has nothing to do with being cool. It must be the running...

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...