Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I've been a little uninspired lately...I think it's because I always struggle at the beginning of a new "season"... trying to get into a productive routine around the house and getting started on some spiritual goals for the summer...

You'd think by now I'd figure out that i need to get a routine as soon as the college students leave...otherwise I waste about 2 weeks puttering around the house, sleeping in, and listening to podcasts (I'm a geek, I know).

Anyway, here's what I read this morning....

How do I get to God?

Maybe you are somewhat like me, and the first step toward the answer is to
begin laying down church-lady pretending. Actually, it'll lighten your load
by a ton and probably make you look ten years younger.....

Now that you've laid down the stuff, go ahead and look inside your
soul. Anything powerful in there? anything holy? anything
good? I didn't think so. There is a want to. There is a
desire. But there is nothing inside me that can make me whole.

So go ahead and admit it. Empty. Starving actually.
Desperately hungry and dying to have food that will last. I have tried and
I cannot feed myself. I am without resources. I am incredibly
poor.

There...we're almost at the answer. The woman who realizes that she
cannot fill her own soul and becomes desperate for God to save her...the woman
who decides to do anything to get to God: charge the grain truck, climb
over every physical and emotional obstacle, begin to eat, sleep, drink, and
breathe Jesus...that woman is kneeling near the kingdom of heaven...that woman
is in His arms...held and secure and loved.

That woman is dancing while God sings gentle love songs.
Oh, God, make me an unchurch lady.
Make me desperate.
Make me Yours.

Do You Think I'm Beautiful? by Angela Thomas

No comments:

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...