Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Dreams

After 26 1/2 hours without power, and 1 redbud tree short, we're finally back to normal. Last night we had crazy tornado-like winds that took out one tree and left our yard covered with branches...and without power.

For about the first hour it was kind of fun....lots of candles in the house...students were here to pray for the mission trip....then we realized that we were going to try to sleep without air conditioning. I know it sounds like we're wimps, but the converted attic where our bedrooms are is a sauna during the summer and unbearable without the air conditioner or 5 fans blowing. So, we camped out on the floor in the living room.

I had the most bizarre dreams...the most vivid I've had in a long time.

1) I dreamt that I was invited to a special Brittany Spears Fan Club party where she and her husband were present. Brittany Spears looked awful. Sophia sweetly asked her to sing a song for everyone and she yelled at her manager, "Gee, I don't have to sing, too, do I?". The dream ended with her screaming at her boyfriend/husband in something like a scene from COPS.

**I want to make it very clear that I am NOT a fan of Brittany Spears, and although I have had an addiction to reality television, I have NEVER seen an episode of the reality show based on her relationship with her husband/boyfriend**

2) A group of us were going somewhere in a big, extended-cab pickup. Todd got in the driver's seat and I kind of thought, Hmmm, is this a good idea? (if you've ever wondered why I often drive and todd rides in the passenger seat, it's because the brain tumor damaged his optic nerve)......there were about 4 more people in the back of the truck. We were traveling down a road when we came to a bridge that was out. We all saw in plenty of time, but Todd couldn't judge the distance to the end of the road, and we fell off the top of this bridge into the river below in slow motion. I very calmly informed everyone that we were going to go into the water (like they didn't already know this), and instructed them that once we hit the bottom of the river, the pressure would equalize and we could open the doors to get out. The dream ended as I noticed that there were power locks and we would have to try to break the windows out with our feet.

Hmmmm....what could they mean?

Anyway, we finally have power, and I'm throwing out all of the food that was in the fridge....

4 comments:

Jeffffffffffffffff said...

well your dreams seem to make sense, mine are just weird. I faintly remember one from last night where I was flying through the air with Darth Vader, and we were acting like we were superman.

Unknown said...

So why are you throwing out everything in your fridge? We lose power pretty routinely, the worst for about 40 hours, but I've yet to throw out anything. If your fridge stayed closed, your fine. The seal on it was probably enough to keep everything ok. Or maybe you believe in health dept. safety conditions for food. Yeah, I've given up on that.

Without power, Jon and I normally huddle around the emergency back up lanterns we have and read to each other. Not a bad way to spend an evening.

Gretchen Magruder said...

yeah, I guess I should be more truthful....I didn't throw out EVERYTHING. Ketchup, soy sauce, water, butter, things like that stayed...but every other dairy product went in the trash...I'm kinda funny like that...I think it comes from taking a big gulp of spoiled milk somewhere in my childhood....

Anonymous said...

Well, if your childhood was like mine (and it was), then it was actually a large CHUNK of milk that you CHEWED.

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...