Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Freedom from the Lies

It's interesting to me that Satan seems to have the most influence in my life through the little things....a choice about a $4 purchase, giving a short answer to my husband, getting distracted with social media instead of doing the work I'm supposed to be doing. I've been reading a great new book from Rebekah Lyons this week called, "You are Free", and I'm starting to hear the faint whisper of the enemy a little more clearly.

I was in a conversation last week with someone from church about whether I could help out in one of his areas of ministry. I quickly tried to formulate an answer about my heart for what he was doing and my lack of availability. I wanted to help out, and knew I was good at doing what he was asking. However, I also knew that my schedule was already packed with "good" things. I sort of fumbled and flustered and out of my mouth came the words, "I'm sorry, I'm just kind of flakey, and don't think I can commit right now."

Later that night, I sensed God asking me, "Is that really true? Are you really flakey?"

And peeking up from the blanket of guilt I had been hiding under, I thought, "No, I'm NOT flakey!"

I care for 3 busy teens and a husband with a brain injury which means every week I'm juggling dentist appointments, school meetings, car maintenance reminders, and all the rest of parenting ....I work full-time in a relationship-heavy ministry that requires lots of emotional energy and creative communicating...I lead a ministry at our church that includes more than 70 volunteers...I'm a mentor and friend to some amazing women....

I am busy.

And sometimes I'm guilty of overextending myself and taking on too much.

But I'm trying to be obedient to the things God has asked me to do, and often that means I'm going to have to say No to things.

I'm not flakey.



Are there lies the enemy has been whispering in you ear about who you are? Feel like a disappointment? Does guilt cover you like a heavy blanket? Do you find yourself trying to win the approval of God or others? Remember, God doesn't just invite you to be free, he says that you ARE free.....let's begin to live that way!

No comments:

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...