Sunday, May 31, 2020

Just do SOMETHING

When I was a young mom, there was a tragic death in our church family, and I remember feeling like a little kid, like I didn’t know how to respond appropriately for something like that. Is sending a card helpful? Taking a casserole? Do you call first, or just show up? Will I bother the family? So much insecurity about doing the “right” thing. I shared this with a mentor and I’ll never forget her telling me, “it doesn’t really matter what you do, just do SOMETHING”.
It’s a little like how I feel now, as a white woman, sickened and saddened by the violence, injustice, and fear my brothers and sisters of color continue to face. What do I say? Will what I say make my black friends internally roll their eyes while politely excusing my inadequate attempt at being supportive? Have I earned the right to stand with them in protest, knowing I can easily do so because of my whiteness?
As our family talks about this, we know we’re called to practice what Jesus did. He was present with people who were hurting. People on the outside. People the political and social systems had forgotten, mistreated or ignored. A huge part of his ministry was simply standing WITH people.
For the last few days I’ve been remembering my friend’s words. I’m still not sure what the perfect thing to do is, but today we’re going to “just do SOMETHING.” Feel free to join us at 12:30pm today for a vehicle procession of solidarity downtown Springfield. #imagodei #blacklivesmatter #justiceforgeorgefloyd #justiceforahmaud #justdosomething

No comments:

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...