Monday, June 01, 2020

The Spirit Hovered: Genesis 1:1-13

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."  Genesis 1:1-2

It's hard to imagine what it was like before the creation of the world.  How do you imagine nothing? I've always been intrigued by the fact that the earth was empty, and. yet there was "the deep" and "the waters".  LATER, God created the waters, right?  So what was present in V. 1?   

But the part I love most about these verses is the idea that "the spirit of God was hovering over the waters".  What was that like?  Was it like an eery mist covering a lake early in the morning?  Was it just like a swarm of little gnats that all move together at the ballfield during the summer?   Maybe it was like the cloud by day and pillar of fire by night in the desert with the Israelites?

Then I think....does he still do that??   I mean, I know I have the Spirit living inside of me, which is overwhelmingly amazing....but does he still hover in our midst?  Like the mist over a meadow....was he hovering yesterday when over 3000 cars joined together in a Procession of Solidarity for Black Lives?  Or at The Villas in Sherman, as they've been suffering through a COVID outbreak?   Does he hover in our midst...listening, moving, responding?

No comments:

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...