Wednesday, January 11, 2006

80's Christian music

Oh my goodness, I'm giddy with excitement, thinking about these bands!!

Okay, so I'm going to guess that this will be my most obscure 80's Christian music favorite: Dion. Yeah, Dion DiMucci....the same one who recorded stuff like The Wanderer, Runaround Sue, Teenager in Love......

Well, he recorded a few "gospel" albums, and "I Put Away My Idols" was the first Christian music tape I ever owned. I can remember being on a Mission Trip in a campground in Oklahoma, listening to that tape over and over again. Actually, I've been singing one of the songs for weeks because we actually had someone sing it at our wedding and I was reminded of that when we did our annual "viewing of the wedding video" on our anniversary!! The song was "My Prayer For You":
May the Father of Light pour out His grace on you
May you feel his hand in everything you do
and be strengthened by the things He brings you through
This is my prayer for you.

May the Spirit comfort you and make you strong
May He discipline you gently when you're wrong
And in your hearts may he give you a song
This is my prayer for you.

And despite how simple it may sound
I pray that His grace will abound
And motivate everything you do
and may the fullness of His love be shared through you.

May Jesus be Lord in all your ways
May he shepherd you the length of all your days
And in your hearts may He receive the praise
This is my prayer for you.

The tape is long-gone, but I just ordered the cd online!!

Okay, and the other artist I LOVE is Keith Green.....anything by Keith Green.....I went through a phase where I read "No Compromise", the book about his life, like 10 times....

Ahhhhh....if I only had time to sit in the living room and listen to all of our old stuff.....but there are places to go and people to see and children to love....so until my Dion CD arrives in the mail, that's it for now!!

3 comments:

dlaz said...

i'll sit with you and it can be a time of glorious fellowship. you can see people WHILE listening to the music. although i remember not being a huge fan of keith green. sorry :)

Gretchen Magruder said...

I think maybe Keith Green was the 70's/80's Donald Miller....

Unknown said...

lol Ten years later since you first posted, this song still runs strong.. def takes me back, thanks for the lyrics. Bless

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...