Sunday, March 19, 2006

In a nutshell.....

Whew!! What an awesome Spring Break!!

The Magruder Family joined 20 students from UIS and LLCC on a trip to the snowy north country....Nett Lake, Minnesota. Lots of kids at an after-school program, great bible studies and hanging out with our college students, and even an almost-pleasant 14-hour drive!!

I must admit I really knew very little about Indian culture (and still know very little), and this trip was great for our whole family to understand more about what Native Americans have been through in this country, and how it still impacts their daily lives today.

Sarah Jane and Sophia did great on their first mission trip....really, just amazing. They stayed up much later than usual without having any real melt-downs, made friends with the Indian kids, played in the snow that was almost waist-deep on them, and traveled like champs. This morning the children's minister at our church asked them to stand up at Kid's Worship next Sunday and talk about their trip!! Hey - do any of you who went have pictures posted somewhere we could use?! I think this is the first of many mission trips for the Magruder girls...

Those Reservation children were amazing....so authentic and gentle and kind....there's just something different in their attitudes from kids growing up in today's white culture...too much to explain here, but a great learning experience for all of us.



So we're back home, laundry is done, in a little shock over the tornadoes that went through Springfield while we were gone. No damage to our home, but we were without power for 2 1/2 days, so lost some food in the fridge.....a few of my friends insist that the freezer food will be okay, but I'm a little hesitant to try it....any volunteers?!

Thinking about selling our house and buying another a little closer to campus....scary...I really don't like being an adult sometimes....I mean, do they really think we can be trusted with a loan for thousands of dollars?! What's the "right" decision financially? What's "right" for our family? What's my fleshly desire, and what's the holy spirit guiding me? Needless to say, we're a little conflicted and confused right now, so your prayers would be a huge help.


Oh, and I'm supposed to be getting my research for the comprehensive exam done in the next month....yeah, right.

3 comments:

dlaz said...

you should probably get your homework done soon so you can start on mine...

Jeffffffffffffffff said...

you should check around facebook for pictures,

I think your kids will turn out

"Jeff you're so disgusting and gross, I want to throw up on you..."

Gretchen Magruder said...

Jeff, I didn't realize my kids were so creatively gifted until they wrote that tribute song to you....

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...