Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Casas por Cristo


We just got back from our Mission Trip to Juarez, Mexico - - 21 people, 4 days driving, 3 1/2 days building, 1/2 day of heavy snow, and over 100 pb&j or ham and cheese sandwiches....

Mark Koon was our Casas Team Leader - -Mark and his wife Kim were leaders in CSF about 10 years ago while Kim was a student at UIS. They took their first Casas trip with us and were so impacted by it, they eventually decided to serve with Casas full-time. It's so great to be able to spend time with them on these trips....I love that our students get to know them!

I know I'm getting older because:

1. It takes me a week to recover and feel rested after this trip
2. When I get out of the van after driving for 6 hours, I walk kinda hunched over like my dad
3. I never even consider driving straight through the night anymore

We had an amazingly good trip....some heavy snow (yes, snow!!) on day 2 that stopped construction for the afternoon, but no bad attitudes, no drama, no real sickness, no injuries, no car problems.....God did some great things on this trip!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

where did yall go?

K-Mass said...

I'm glad it went well, I was praying for you guys :).

gretchen lee said...

Sorry, Herschel....I should have given more information....we went to Juarez, Mexico!

Lindsey said...

Hey Gretchen! I've been on two trips with Casa por cristo only in July... no snow... intense heat! I bet going in the winter would be a completely different experience. I often let the heat get the best of me. But some truly amazing memories are able to be made there! glad you all had a great time! :)

Janus Torrell said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip, and don't feel too old, It took me a week to recover from my trip to Arizona and that was for a honeymoon and vacation...I didn't even do the great work that you did.