Monday, March 12, 2007

Sex Ed and 3 pages a day....

So we were challenged at the Illinois Retreat that we should make it a goal to read through the Bible every year....and though I hate those peer pressure kinds of things, I thought, really, can how can you disagree with that one?

We've been trying to get into a better spiritual bedtime routine with our kids, so we decided we'd incorporate the 2....just 3 pages a day should get us through the Bible in a year. And we've been doing really well with it...the girls are getting into the whole Adam and Eve thing, and Noah and the Ark....we even survived reading through the descendants of Noah because Todd pronounced their names funny and we giggled the whole way through.

I should have been thinking ahead...I mean, I was anticipating how boring it would eventually get in Leviticus and Deuteronomy.....but I kinda forgot about the X-rated nature of some of the Old Testament until our 8 year old started reading Gen. 16 and the story of Abraham and Hagar....the kids NIrV puts it mildly as "Abraham slept with Hagar and she became pregnant", so we just kind of breezed right past it......

But last night we hit Gen. 19 and the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, and as soon as she read, "Bring them out so we can have sex with them", both girls turned and put their eyes curiously on me. That story is followed up by Lot and his daughters.....

And, of course, Todd's on a mission trip.

So, here we go....I knew it was about time to start having more open discussion about sex....I guess I didn't expect this would be the way it came up. Hmmmmm...so maybe the Old Testament really is relevant!

2 comments:

Janus Torrell said...

Relevant but really difficult to explain at times. I don't remember any of these being in my Bible Stories Record with the comic read out when I was a kid.

M said...

This is so hard! I hit this passage with my niece a few weeks ago. I'm doing something similar with them, reading a few pages a day. I had forgotten how candid parts of the O.T. are! I should have better prepared, it caught me by surprise! It all worked out, I think I explained it alright. Good luck!

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...