Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Pinching pennies


I've been convicted that our grocery budget is one of the few areas where we haven't really cut back. I already shop at the least expensive grocery stores, check the price per ounce, use some coupons, and buy storebrands, but I've never been good at the whole planning a menu/budget thing. So, that's why I'm getting very excited about the upcoming Frugal Cooking Carnival held at Owlhaven beginning April 25th. Bloggers share their best yummy, affordable menus. I don't think I have much to contribute, but I'll be trying out some of the menus!

I've also recenetly started stalking the blog of a woman who decided to cook something in her crockpot EVERY DAY for a year. Looking for some good new ideas!!

So do YOU have a great, affordable meal idea? I'd love to hear about it!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been working a bit more on meal planning every week now that we are without a houseworker (that sounds really helpless doesn't it?). Every week I make a trip through the cookbooks I have. Starting almost always with More with Less and then trying to think about how I can use leftovers and etc etc. Trying to think to about variety in our diet and not just chicken, veg, rice everyday. Sometimes I try to enlist help from Jonathan, which typically yields just the help you thought it would. My thought though was that you would be especially fortunate to enlist the girls to help in meal planning. They could plan a few meals, thinking through what's in the cabinet, what's needed and how they could help in meal prep. Probably even help with looking through ads and coupons to find good deals. That's my thought anyway.

Jarretts said...

Thanks for sharing the link to "The Year of Crockpotting" . . . I checked out the site and wrote down a few of the recipes to try! I don't quite have that kind of obsession with the crockpot, but I do LOVE to use it when I can. Makes life much easier!

Canadian Saver said...

Oh I'll be checking out the cooking carnival too, can always use tips and ideas!

jen said...

Well, not that your a Freegan, you shouldn't have to worry about that grocery budget! ;)

Thanks for your thoughts on sleepovers last weekend!

Stephanie ODea said...

Gretchen, thank you for linking to my blog and for your kind words! I'm having a lot of fun with this project.

xoxo
steph

Annie said...

Thanks for this link... I received a crockpot a few months ago and this will be a great resource.

Candace said...

I described cooking a whole chicken in my crockpot here

http://agardenofblessings.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-i-love-to-buy-whole-chickens.html

I can't beat the ease and the value.
Thanks for stopping by my blog today! and best wishes with the adoption!

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...