Thursday, June 24, 2010

Teenager Hell: Trapped in a Camper....with my FAMILY!!

I used to think this picture from my 1986 family vacation (which my dad titled "The Vacation You'll Tell Your Grandchildren About") was kind of funny.

We took our annual trip to the Current River for camping and canoeing - my parents, 3 younger brothers and I - but this time our route included random colleges and universities, state parks, and various other points of interest (interesting to my father). I remember that I got my "monthly visitor" on the way back, had cramps, was riding in the back of our hot Ford Conversion Van with my brothers, and all I wanted to do was to get home. Even so, my dad made prospective college stops at the Christian Scientist college in Elsah, IL and MacMurray and Illinois College in Jacksonville....just in case.

I'm sure I was a pleasure to be around (as evidenced by the photograph). What are the hormones that cause girls to be able to pout so effortlessly?

And now that I have Tweens at my house, I'm just thankful my mom was smiling in the picture and not beating me with my Teen Magazine.

2 comments:

shana said...

Haha, I love this post. And that photo is priceless!!

Dr. Sarah said...

This is a great post! It looks like the pictures from our family camping trips back in the '80's. . .my parents and two younger brothers. . .oh, Gretchen. . .I feel your pain. . .but your Mom looks fantastic!

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...