Thursday, January 03, 2013

My One Word

I know, I know... for the 3 of you who forgot you subscribed to the little blog I used to write, it's been awhile :)    But it's a new year and though blogging still isn't a priority, I do miss the accountability it can provide.  Even if no one reads my words, the act of thinking them through and writing them down seems to cement them more in my head and heart.

I love the idea of just picking One Word for the new year.   One word to describe who God desires me to be.  It's not the only word, but it's one that the Holy Spirit keeps confirming as I've thought and prayed.

My One Word for 2013 is Gentle.

gen·tle  (jntl)
adj. gen·tlergen·tlest
1. Considerate or kindly in disposition; amiable and tender.
2. Not harsh or severe; mild and soft: a gentle scolding; a gentle tapping at the window.
3. Easily managed or handled; docile: a gentle horse.
4. Not steep or sudden; gradual: a gentle incline.

More gentle in my parenting, as a wife, a more gentle friend and mentor.  Gentle words, gentle correction and discipline.  That gentleness would characterize the atmosphere I create in my home and in my interactions.  

So, at least for these first few days of 2013, I'm shooting to be more gentle.   And if, 3 months from now, I've forgotten all about this, I may stumble across this little blog while googling myself, and be reminded of a more tender, gentler Gretchen.

1 comment:

jan said...

gentle is a very good choice. I could do gentle as well :)

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...