Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Just get in the stinking water!

I claim that I want to hear from God.

I pray to know him more, to know his will for my life and for every part of my day.

I think about how much easier my life would be if I woke up each morning with clear instructions on what to do and where to go.

And yet, I back-talk God like a certain 12 year old who lives at my house......

I see myself in the story of Naaman, a soldier with leprosy who goes to God with the request of being healed.  God answers him, and Naaman throws a hissy fit like a 12 year old girl:
Elisha sent a messenger to say to him, “Go, wash yourself seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will be restored and you will be cleansed.” 11But Naaman went away angry and said, “I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the Lord his God, wave his hand over the spot and cure me of my leprosy. 12Are not Abana and Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? Couldn’t I wash in them and be cleansed?” So he turned and went off in a rage.
How many times have I missed the healing, missed the blessing, because I wanted my own way? How many times have I told God I needed him, said I trusted him with the solution, yet when he told me what to do, stomped off to my room in a huff because it wasn't the answer I wanted?

The question is: Do I trust God or not? Do I believe he's the God of the universe, or do I think I have a better plan.

Maybe it's time to stop talking back, and just get in the stinking water!

No comments:

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...