Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Scrambled Eggs

I ruined the scrambled eggs this morning.

I mean, they were so bad, I had to throw them out....6 eggs...wasted.

I should know how to make scrambled eggs. For the last 2 months we've had eggs for breakfast every day. Fried eggs, scrambled eggs, omlets....it's not like I don't know how to make scrambled eggs:

crack eggs into a bowl
add milk
beat eggs and milk
pour into hot skillet
add cheddar cheese (a Magruder tradition)
salt and pepper

I think this morning I added too much milk. I never measure, just slop some in....and then there's the cheese...that shredded cheddar has alot of water in it....so the eggs were a runny, gooey mess. Todd tried to pretend they weren't that bad, but there was no way I was going to eat them, so I dumped them in the trash and started over.

I think making eggs was just getting a little bit too routine. I didn't think about what I was doing, didn't consider how much milk I was adding, getting lazy and adding cheese too early....how many other things in my life are the same way...it get's routine and gets sloppy.

Marriage is like that sometimes...you forget that it needs attention...not just slopping in as much criticism or correction as I like, or adding the cheese too early. And when you first start cooking, you have no idea that there's a problem...it's only as things heat up that you realize it's not getting fluffy...that it's runny and gooey and not very appealing.....

Ministry can be like that, too....going through the motions, doing the same stuff you always do, but getting a little sloppy with it....you do the work and put in the time and after a little while, you realize that things aren't setting up the way they should...that it doesn't look quite right....

I know I've probably done it a hundred times....thank God for prodding me when I've added too much milk....when I need to pay attention to what I'm doing...

I may not have done the eggs right, but today's a day when I'm paying attention to you, God. I don't want to get sloppy with the things you've entrusted to me.


I will follow you
This world has nothing for me
I will follow you

No comments:

 This quote was part of my Lectio365 Sabbath devotion this morning, and as I considered what this day should look like, I began considering ...